Another little riddle for the wandering mind…
I’ve spent a couple of days photographing running water – it’s kind of classic I guess, but one should do the classics too… Unfortunately, the ‘rapids’ and the ‘falls’ I have to practice on aren’t, really, at least not unless you’re a lilliputian. Not that it matters with regards to the water and the technique (long exposures, and do use a tripod…) but little distractions like rotting leaves and scattered twigs suddenly tend to become major parts of the picture, as opposed to if I had a real waterfall to shoot.
Never mind, for once I began by clearing up a bit first where I wanted to shoot, and then ignored the rest. I set up the tripod – sometimes across the stream with one of its legs on a root and the other two on a rock each (and yes, I did step into the stream once; wet rocks and muddy banks are not an optimal combination for getting a good grip) – and shot water. Lots of fun. Then I trudged back home with one sopping shoe but fortunately still a dry camera, and processed my shots.
I was happy. They came out nice – not brilliant, but nice – and I’d learned a bit about exposures. Pretty pictures of running water, you know, where you get that almost dreamy shimmer to the water thanks to its running trough a static landscape. But then I had the surroundings… Let’s just say they don’t fit the fairytale image. Well, at least not the fairy bit… but there’s usually a dark element to fairytales, as well… right?
So I worked on them a little, adding some textures from the KKC, and ended up with something from a slightly different kind of story…
What I really liked about this was that the hues and textures worked so well to bring all the elemets of the shots together. A little abstract, perhaps, but then again – what fairytale isn’t?
Apple blossom, dahlia, rose, budding larkspur and poppies… I could have gone on forever here! And I’m grateful for this particular challenge, because I see a set (or several) of beautiful picture cards coming out of it – for correspondence, invitations, thanks, congratulations…
I’ve used layers in various blending modes to lighten and enhance contrast, and different textures and filters to create the sketch-effect on each of these. I did work intuitively, each flower shot had its own characteristics to accommodate, but soft light, hard light, multiply and screen blending modes were used, as were the find edges, watercolour and graphic pen filters.
All are based on a pdpa texture: Backlight, Vellum, Serve life, Blank page and Old ornate linen respectively. Wonderful stuff, Bonnie!
It isn’t my home – it’s the neighbours’.
They asked me a while back if I could make a digital copy of an old, black-and-white shot of their house that someone had let them borrow, and naturally I did.
Afterwards, having delivered the requested copy, I couldn’t resist a little creative re-decoration of their house however… (I have no idea who the original photographer was, by the way, but if they ever see this, I hope they don’t mind!)
I colorized using a different layer for each colour, using multiply or screen blending modes, and I’ve used “Replace colour” in the image adjustment menu on copies of the house colour layers to generate the variations.
So much easier than actually painting the house…
Three variants of a shot of Lo in the window.
For portraits, I like the soft natural light that a window provides – it gives such a lovely play between light and shadow. For this first version, I just blended the original image with a soft layer of the kkc texture Felicity.
I then went a little further for the second variant, adding a Water colour filter and an edge enhancement with the Find edges stylize filter as well.
Still seeking something further, I then experimented a little with the pdpa Scratched lens texture and blending modes for the last version.
A little harsher in both light and shadows.
I’m not sure I found what I was looking for, but I did enjoy the excercise!
Well, I’ve just had too much on my plate lately. But Bonnie’s optional theme of ‘Collage’ did tickle my imagination eventually, and so I decided to revisit an old friend…
If you look at the original image, you’ll see that the idea was to make it look like one window with lots of panes, and Lo behind each and every one of them… well, sort of, anyway.
In this version, the filter work (Watercolour and Find edges) and pdpa Painterly texture work to create lots of little watercolours in a grid, and perhaps the “window” aspect is somewhat lost… but still. I love this collage, and I love those watercolour effects! So, there you are; my collage for this week.
An interesting development from last week’s challenge…
This kind of grew out of as little conscious intent as possible – I tried to stick with feelings and hunches and not think too much about it… good excercise! 🙂
I used two of my photos and one of my own textures, along with Bonnie’s pdpa Vintage Craquelure and pdpa Dropped Petals textures (though the latter was not used with the b/w version).
For the various versions I’ve simply played with layer compositions and blending modes to change the atmosphere. Kind of fits different moods, to me.
I do love the way Bonnie’s textures lift the colours of an image – if you want them to!